Alocasia Silver Dragon
Alocasia Baginda “Silver Dragon” is one of those tropical evergreens that magically draws you towards it in a nursery and won’t let you leave until you’ve purchased it.
It is a hybrid variant of theAlocasia Baginda and looks very similar to the original Baginda but much more strikingly crystalline and silvery. In fact, there’s something ghostly about the Silver Dragon with a texture that resembles dragon scales.
Alocasia Silver Dragon Care
Good drainage is key to keeping Alocasia Silver Dragon happy. They will grow beautifully if the mix you choose is quick-draining. But the soil you grow Alocasia Silver Dragon in needs to be soft. Very gritty or rough mixtures are not recommended.
Basically, what you need to ensure is moderate/partial sunlight i.e. about 70-80% filtered direct sunlight so that the leaves don’t burn. In the natural environment Alocasia Silver Dragon plants are found under the shade of trees where there’s a clearing.
When you grow Alocasia Silver Dragon, watering depends on both soil and sunlight. If the soil is moisture-retentive as explained above and the light level is no more than dappled, you won’t need to water this plant very often.
The leaves and stems of the Alocasia Silver Dragon are very fleshy and hold moisture well. It’s a good idea to let the top soil dry out just a little between waterings. However, be mindful even underwatering stresses the plant’s root systems too.
The thick-leafed Silver Dragon plants love warm temperatures. You can grow Alocasia Silver Dragon between 55°- 80°F (13°-27°C). However, these tropical evergreens become slow growing under temperatures below 60°F (16°C).
Just like other members of its genus, Alocasia Silver Dragon care requires as much humidity as you can give it. They occur in the warmer coastal areas in the far south east. 80% to 100% humidity levels is what they would love.
Alocasia Silver Dragon grows in the limestone outcrops on the island of Borneo. These places have calcium-rich substrates. Along with rainwater the soil increases the pH, releases calcium into the soil
Potting and Pruning
Alocasia Silver Dragon, in my experience, survives a surprisingly long time in the same pot. They like it root bound as long as the roots are able to breathe. The best pot for this plant is a terracotta planter
Common problems with Alocasia Silver Dragon
Leaves dropping all of a sudden
If the plant is exposed to a cold draft in your greenhouse for being next to the entrance or window, that could cause all the leaves to droop.
Sudden wilting or drooping of leaves
The most common reason for this is root rot caused due to waterlogging. Check the plant’s roots. They should be white and healthy. If they look brown and slushy then it’s a root rot. There’s little that you can do to save the plant. Just look for plantlets that you can save and repot in better soil.
This may start with the lower leaves first, before spreading to all of the leaves. One of the common reasons for this is salt buildup due to over fertilization. Water deeply three or four times, each time letting all the water drain out.
This should help wash off the salts. These plants are sensitive to excessive chlorine too. If you have a system of rainwater harvesting in your garden then that’s the best watering hack for Alocasia Silver Dragon care.
Wet brown spots on the leaf
If the spots have a foul smelling ooze to them then it could be bacterial leaf spot disease common in Alocasia Silver Dragon.
It is important that you get rid of the affected leaves immediately. The bacterial spreads through water droplets on leaves. Cut down the watering and mainly stop getting the leaves wet.
Tips for growing Alocasia baginda Silver Dragon
- Place the plant in bright dappled sunlight
- Avoid under and overwatering the plant
- Use well-draining soils with good aeration and fortify it with a calcium rich fertilizer
- Use the plant’s soil to assess when to water it. Dry it out partially before watering
- Avoid chlorine buildup in the soil by using rainwater or distilled water
- Limit water to the roots by using a breathable terracotta pot that is slightly small in size relative to the plant
- Use sterilized or disinfected equipment on the plant
- Do not frequently repot the plant
DETAILS CHECK :
|PLANT SIZE (excluding pot size)||1.5 to 2.5 feet (please accept a deviation of +/- 5%)|
|POT SIZE||5.5 inches in dia|
|POT COLOUR AND MATERIAL||White/ Self watering pot (can be customized as per requirement)|
Q. WHAT IS CLICKNURSERY WARRANTY ?
- Click nursery Warranty assures you that we are committed to give you the best plants and service to you with utmost satisfaction along with lifetime assistance for healthy nurturing of plants.
Q. DO I GET A LIFETIME ASSISTANCE ?
- Yes, we will provide you life time assistance for all your plant nurturing needs
Q. WHAT IF I RECEIVE DAMAGED OR WRONG PLANT ?
- Here comes Click nursery warranty ready for you. Our packaging is so robust that most of all our plants reach you in good condition but if it still reaches you either damaged or wrong product we will immediately give you a Replacement/Refund of plant in no time.
Q. WHAT IS PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP AND SHALL I NEED TO PAY FOR MEMBERSHIP?
- Premium membership customers can avail a special discount of 10% for all their orders from click nursery. To be eligible for premium membership all it requires is to place an order and sign up with clicknursery.
Q. DO I GET PLANTS ALONG WITH THE POT ?
- Yes, the plant comes with a pot included with no additional cost.
Q. WHAT IS THE SIZE OF PLANT WE GET?
- All the plants from click nursery (excluding pot height) will be of height 1.5 to 2.5 feet (please accept a deviation of +/- 5%).
Q. DO THE PLANT SIZE INCLUDE POT SIZE?
- No plant size is excluded from pot height, Pot height will be 6 inches.
Q. DOES THE PLANT I RECEIVE WILL BE EXACTLY AS SHOWN IN PICTURES?
- It's a live plant, each plant grows in its own unique branching shape and flowers according to its blooming season but plants you receive will be exactly the same plant variety with assurance
Default Size Chart
International: Insured Shipping. Delivery within 14 business days.